(taken from the blog http://blog.writersdigest.com/poeticasides/)
"For today's prompt, I want you to take the phrase "Why I Don't (blank)" and fill in the blank. Then, make that your title. From there, write a poem. Some possibilities include "Why I don't look both ways," "Why I don't tie my shoestrings," and "Why I don't watch the evening news." So many possibilities, so little time."
here is my poem in response to this prompt:
why i don't wear pink
i think i'm more like wednesday adams
not perky, not upbeat, not enthused,
but not dull or demure either
in the sense that i don't want to fade
into the background- sea of black or blend
in with everyone else, my personality
isn't that of brighter hues, it's subtle.
if i speak i do not shout you need to lean in
closely to hear, i do not need an audience
to adore me, i don't need to proclaim how
girly i can be. i can't defend superficiality
i love to live in the cover of night
i do not reflect the light if i can help it
i reflect inner light and see beyond a rose colored
world
true blue baby
14 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment