Tuesday, October 10, 2006

going down to liverpool

recently i went to a street fair near my job and noticed a CD booth, they were selling the bangles' greatest hits CD for $8. but this is how poor i am, i put it back and decided i should save my money. i really liked that CD though, it was a favorite of mine in high school. i picked it up and looked at the song list for a while and tried to decide whether or not to buy it. i thought maybe it would bring back depressing memories of high school, but as i walked away, the guy at the stand selling the CDs picked it up and started to play it. i guess to convince me to come back and buy it. as i listened to 'hero takes a fall' it was amazing how fast all those high school memories started flooding back, going to chem lab and walking through the hallways alone, anonymous, the way i liked it.

life was much simpler then even though i was much more lonely. with the current state of indecision and insecurity in my career and in my life and uncertainty about the future, this is the song that feels most relatable to me right now- going down to liverpool (lyrics below). how nice it would be to go someplace and live out the rest of my days doing nothing, no obligations, no expectations, no stress, no pressures. what a dream that would be. it certanly isn't reality. unless you happen to be independantly wealthy. it's a pretty dreamy song even if it does still make me a little sad. i should've just bought the CD.

going down to liverpool

Hey now...
Where you going with that load of nothing in your hand?
I said: Hey now...
All through this green and pleasant land.

I'm going down to Liverpool to do nothing
I'm going down to Liverpool to do nothing
I'm going down to Liverpool to do nothing
All the days of my life
All the days of my life.

Hey there...
Where you going with that UB40 in your hand?
I said: Hey there...
All through this green and pleasant land.

I'm going down to Liverpool to do nothing
I'm going down to Liverpool to do nothing
I'm going down to Liverpool to do nothing
All the days of my life
All the days of my life.

Hey now
Where you going with that UB40 in your hand
I said: Hey now
All through this green and pleasant land.

I'm going down to Liverpool to do nothing
I'm going down to Liverpool to do nothing
All the days of my life
All the days of my life.

No comments: